SIOS LOGISTICS QUESTIONNAIRE
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the SIOS Logistics Questionnaire.
The questionnaire is available HERE.
The questionnaire has been developed as part of the Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System (SIOS) project. The main aims of the project are to:
- establish an Arctic Earth Observing System in and around Svalbard that integrates and complements existing research and monitoring platforms for geophysical, biological and chemical studies with the aim to match integrated models;
- utilise satellite remote sensing data that are available via the Svalbard receiving stations and the space agencies using these stations;
- build up close cooperation with other ESFRI projects that plan activities in the European Arctic, existing regional research networks in the European Arctic and pan-Arctic initiatives such as the Sustained Arctic Observing Network (SAON).
You can find more information about the project on its website www.sios-svalbard.org.
The aim of the questionnaire is to analyse existing infrastructure as well as to identify logistical requirements in Svalbard and its surroundings. Data provided on the questionnaire will be used to identify main potential logistic needs such as energy demands, data transfer requirements, people and equipment transportation, research platform maintenance and service optimisation.
The questionnaire is divided into 5 sections:
1) Section I: General information
2) Section II: Infrastructure
3) Section III: Transportation
4) Section IV: Vessels
5) Section V: Needs and requirements
Section I: General Information
This section collects information about you and the institution you represent. Should you decide to fill out any or all of the questionnaire contained in Sections II - V, we request you fill out this section first.
Section II: Infrastructure
This section is intended for institutions and persons that own or operate facilities in the Svalbard area. It will allow identification and analysis of existing and available infrastructure in Svalbard.
Please fill out this section if you own or operate any facility in the Svalbard area. Please fill out a separate questionnaire for each facility.
Section III: Transportation
This section is intended for institutions and persons that own or operate means of transportation in the Svalbard area. It will allow identification and analysis of existing and available type of transportation in Svalbard.
Please fill out this section if you own or operate any means of transportation in the Svalbard area. Please fill out a separate questionnaire for every transportation unit (except sea-going vessels).
Section IV: Vessels
This section is intended for institutions and persons that own or operate vessels in the Svalbard area. It will allow identification and analysis of vessels operating in Svalbard.
Please fill out this section if you own or operate a vessel in the Svalbard area. Please fill out a separate questionnaire for every vessel.
Section V: Needs and requirements
This section is intended for institutions / research groups / individual researchers operating in the Svalbard region. It will allow identification of needs for common supplies, transport and accommodation, and as a result, determination and implementation of logistical improvements in these fields.
Please fill out a separate questionnaire for every destination point or type of requirement within your scope of interest.
1. In order to access the questionnaire you need to log into the system by entering a password. The password will be forwarded to you upon your request sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Please try to provide complete and accurate information in each section of the questionnaire that you fill out.
3. There are only a few obligatory questions. You may find some sections or questions irrelevant or you may not be able to answer all the questions . Should you have any difficulties, please contact us for further information.
4. Once you have completed a given section of the questionnaire, please press the “Submit” button at the bottom of the form. The filled out section will be automatically submitted and you will be redirected to the main page of the questionnaire.
5. The system recognises the IP of the computer that you have used to submit your questionnaires. If you use the same computer, you may return to your already submitted questionnaires at any time in order to complete or edit your answers.
6. We would be grateful for submission of all completed questionnaires by the end of October 2011.
7. The amount of available questionnaire forms may not be sufficient for all facilities / types of transportation / vessels / destination points that you would like to include. In such a case, please contact us at email@example.com and additional questionnaire forms will be forwarded to you.
8. Should you have difficulties in filling out the questionnaire or should you have any questions or comments about it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.